Silkie Colors + Genetics?

Orcae

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My mother has instructed me to ask this...bare with me
wink.png

Do you get splash silkies by breeding blacks with whites? If you breed white x white will you get all white offspring every time? etc
We're having issues - we're going to get 2 silkie hens and 1 roo. I want 2 splash hens. Mom wants 1 black, 1 white, and 1 buff and she doesn't care which is which gender as long as 2 are hens. These silkies are supposed to be for me, I think I should get to pick the color of my own birds..lmao

Last edited:
From the way I have seen it explained, white is an "off" switch. It basically hides any other color that may be in the birds genetics. You cannot tell what the white is hiding unless you breed it to a non-white bird.

If I do not have this mixed up:

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black , 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue , 50% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black X Black = 100% Black
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

Quote:
splash is a dilute of blue
blue +blue = 25%black, 50%blue, 25%slash
buff to any thing but buff well make mess out ur colors
black + splash =blue100%

Actually Splash is Pure blue getting a copy of the Andalusian Blue from each parent. Blue is inpure having only one copy of the gene. Andalusian blue does act as a dilute.

Also in answer to the question on White to White. The recessive white we see most often will most always produce white offspring. White to anything else is a crap shoot.

Very cool! I have been interested in the color genetics for a while. I have a blue (very dark blue) and splash hen I was wondering what colors i would need in a roo to get specifically colored babies. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom