Silkie colors...opinion please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs MIA, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is this little boy considered a splash or a lavender?

Blues?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Lavender and Blues [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It certainly leans toward the self-blue (lavender). I don't see any spots. hingjc told me to check the feather shaft. A lavender will have a white shaft and a splash will have a blue shaft.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oooooo! Where did you get your lavenders from?!?! I want some lavenders and splash babies for my little DD's coop! I can't have them until next spring, but I am still hunting now so I will be ready. They are gorgeous Silkies by the way! [​IMG]

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Thank you all... I'll check the feather shafts on "Stitch". He's a funny little boy, and now I need to figure out which hen to put him with in order to get more lavender. He's my only one. I picked him up locally... well, 250 miles away, north of Anchorage. I was only going to get 5 silkies, but I wound up with 9 because I couldn't leave the 3 blues behind, and Stitch was the only one of his color. I actually thought HE was the blue, and the blues I thought were blacks. [​IMG] Nice mistake, eh?

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    He's a true lavender!!! [​IMG]
    I checked his feather shafts, and they're white!!!!!! Woo hoo!!

[​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Self blue and blue.

ETA: Is that a self blue from Ideal?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Hi Julie~ It might be... I know the guy that I bought them from does business with them. Why do you ask, if I may ask? [​IMG]

So, do I call him a self-blue or a lavender? Or are they really the same thing? [​IMG]

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Hi Julie~ It might be... I know the guy that I bought them from does business with them. Why do you ask, if I may ask? [​IMG]

So, do I call him a self-blue or a lavender? Or are they really the same thing? [​IMG]

Just curious, as I have some from Ideal, and was wondering how they'd end up looking.

The terms self blue and lavender are interchangeable [​IMG]

10. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Oh good... I was half-way expecting you to tell me that they had serious problems with their stock. [​IMG] I'm paranoid, I guess! He's my only one!!!
    [​IMG]
    They're nice looking birds... not show quality that I know of, but he's got sparkle. [​IMG]

edited, because dammit, I'm logged on as my husband!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by