silkie colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by henney penny, Sep 14, 2010.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have silkies and love them.My question is this, could someone please pst pictures of all the colors of silkies?I ordered off ebay buff and blue and they hatched yesterday,how do you tell blue from gray?I have white,partridge and one black.Not sure about the colors blue,porclien,lavender and splash.What am I looking for in those colors do they show up at birth or later when they have all the adult fethering?

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    this bird is gray
    [​IMG]
    this is splash
    [​IMG]
    this is blue
    [​IMG]

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:If you ordered blue and buff eggs, you don't have to worry about getting any of the other colors you mentioned. Blue hatches as a dark color, looks almost black. Buff hatches as a darker brown color. You could also get splash chicks out of your blue eggs depending on what was mated to produce the eggs. Splash chicks hatch as a yellow-ish with a gray tinge.

Lavender and porcelain are very rare colors and eggs for them go for a pretty penny.

4. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Thnak you I`ll post some pictures of the babies as soon as they come out from under mama,they hatched yesterday

5. chrisbc33

chrisbc33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Gloucester, Va
    I have chicks due to hatch and I have a few Lavs in there. [​IMG] I will post photos of them for color reference. My lavs were purchased at a month old, so I'm not even sure what color they will be when they hatch! I did hatch a porcelain, and she did actually look porc after a few days as I recall. If anyone has photos of day old lavs I would love to see them!

Chris

Porcelain
    [​IMG]

Young Lavender
    [​IMG]

6. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Baby Blue one day old [​IMG]

7. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Baby Buff one day old,I think there are two more under her but could not see them [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  8. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Hey Chris I Love the Porcelain!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Looks more like a black, but also really has a brown look to it. Getting accurate colours to show on a computer can be difficult.

10. chrisbc33

chrisbc33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Gloucester, Va
    Thanks for the compliment!

That photo looks a little black to me too. I didn't realize that the splash had a brownish tinge, very interesting.

Thats a cute photo of the buff! The photo below is the result of a lav roo and I believe a black, not sure. Is this gray?
    It has a true lavender undertone so I'm not sure.

Chris
    Still waiting on my chicks.........

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by