Silkie Colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Symboline, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Symboline

Symboline Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    I ordered 4 blue silkie chicks and 2 buff chicks, they were born on the 21 of Nov. the colors of the blues are 2 gray color and 2 black color chicks. Will their color change or will they stay the color they are? I really thought they were going to be blues when I ordered them.. I am not complaining as I love my new silkie babies, just wondering why they turned out to be different colors...
    Thanks for any help in helping me understand...

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I assume you ordered from a hatchery. Most hatcheries explain how the colour blue works. One copy of the blue gene gives blue offspring, two copies give splash and zero copies gives black. There is no guarantee that a blue will be delivered when you order "blue." You will get one of these three colours. You got two blues and 2 blacks.

3. Symboline

Symboline Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Thanks so much!! yes, I ordered from Ideal, will be ordering more come spring... I will go back to their site and see what they say about the blues... I am new to the silkies so have lots to learn... Thanks again!![​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by