1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie colors...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiemelon, Jun 5, 2012.

1. silkiemelon

silkiemelon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    These are my new baby silkie chicks (4 weeks old), and I'm wondering what colors they are.

[​IMG]
    Generally not sure with this one. Blue? Splash? Grey? It looks grey, but the eggs I hatched weren't supposed to be grey silkies.

[​IMG]

I was thinking black at first for this one, but he/she gradually got lighter and has a white stripe going down its neck/belly.
    ???

Any ideas?

2. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    The top one looks like it may be lavender. The bottom one looks blue, but the white on the neck and belly throws me. My blue silkie started off on the light side, then she darkened up to full on blue.

3. Momma 2 silkies

Momma 2 silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Can you tell me what color my silkie chick might be when it gets older? I'm new to chickens and the proud momma to 10 silkie chicks, 4 white 2 that I think are partridge the little one in the picture and 3 more that look to be buff or red. Not sure what colors they are mom and dad were pets and ran free, they were black, red, white, splash, partridge, chicks could be any color of the rainbow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  4. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    It looks partridge to me.
    Only partridge silkies usually start out with those markings, and they can vary in shades.
    When mine was a chick it was fairly light, like yours.

5. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I was thinking partridge also or possibly splash.

6. Momma 2 silkies

Momma 2 silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Can partridge silkies be light and dark colored as chicks and turn out the same as adults? The reason I ask is I have 2 chicks that are a lot darker then this one but has the same markings These are 2 of my chicks that I was talking about. Will they be the same color as the lighter one? I have never seen a light colored partridge before. [​IMG]

7. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Top two are blue. Lavender is much lighter and both parents would have to be lavender or lavender splits to have lavender chicks.

I think the rest will be partridge.

8. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    Yes, like I said before, partridge silkies can vary in shades.

For instance, these are both adult partridge silkies, just different shades. Perfectly normal to have different kinds.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  9. FluffyChick77

FluffyChick77 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    Back to the original pic/question,
    I think the top one looks grey. Or maybe a gray partridge (it could have been a mix up with eggs).
    The bottom one looks blue to me, but the stripe does throw me off.

When they feather out more it should be easier to tell their coloring.

10. Fancypantsluvr

Fancypantsluvr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Boonville, Missouri
    COuld somone tell me what color my rooster fancypants is? He is a silkie batnam. like a big baby[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by