Silkie comb...is this normal?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Melinda35, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    I have seen so many silkies that are cute as can be and then there is mine. [​IMG] I have never seen one look like my roo. Is his comb normal? It looks.....well...disgusting! He is from Ideal but purchased at TSC. He is four months old. I thought the other bantam roos were messing with him but there is no blood or open wounds. I think this is just how he is going to look....so ugly he is cute! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    it almost looks like he has been pecked at or has a infestation going on with his comb...poor little guy [​IMG]
    I would try cleaning it and apply ointment.

3. Melinda35

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:Thank you. I will grab him first thing in the morning. The first picture makes his comb look black but it is actually dark purple spots on there. He is the only bantam roo I will be keeping. As soon as I let my guineas out on Friday I think I am going to put the other three roos in that cage to keep them away from my silkie.

What kind of infestation are you thinking?

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I looks like he's been getting picked on a little or fighting with the other roosters. I could be wrong about this but it looks like he has fly eggs on his comb. The little white dots. ???

5. Melinda35

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:I did not even notice those! Guess I won't be getting mother of the year. [​IMG] How do I get rid of them? I have heard that you can give silkies a bath. What kind of shampoo do you use? In my kitchen sink? I feel a little lost. I have been lucky and had low maintenanced chickens so far.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use dawn dish soap to bathe my chickens. I bathe them if they were standing under the roost or tree log and been pooped on, dawn works best to clean the poo. I make sure I rinse them very well and blow dry afterwards. With the comb, I'd take a slightly damp paper towel to clean and make sure not to get soap in his eyes.

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Since it only appears to be his comb, you could just wipe in off with some alcohol and rub some antibiotic ointment on it afterward.

8. BelleFarm

BelleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Kingwood, New Jersey
    i bought a rooster that had this same problem. i got scrapings from his comb and got it tested, and the results came back that it was an fungal infection and that it is contagious.

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It could just be dried blood from fighting. There are fungal diseases that affect the comb. Favus is one and fowl pox wet and dry is another. Some antibacterial cream may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by