Silkie Confusion

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Elenor13, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Elenor13

Elenor13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    I have what I think is a girl silkie in with two bantam cochins, a boy and a girl. They are all about six months old. The male cochin has already started crowing. I have been thinking the silkie is a girl, but the other day she was fighting with the cockerel. She also has darker feathers on her neck and top of her tail. Her crest is rounded, but there seem to be feathers coming out the back of it. She looks nothing like my other silkie rooster, who is a year old. His crest feathers are "slicked back", and his comb is really big. I don't need another boy, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about this. If she was a boy, wouldn't she have started crowing by now? I will try to get pictures soon. Thanks!

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Young roosters tend not to crow if there is an older male, for example my 6 month old lavender orpington roo has yet to crow, but thats because the is an older polish rooster that is dominant over him. Its especially hard with silkies, so really the only advice to get the pictures up and see if we can help.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As Sunshine0235 stated, young roosters often don't crow. Subordinate roosters avoid crowing because they don't want to attract the attention of the dominant rooster.

If you can post a photo, we may be able to help confirm whether your bird is a rooster or not.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. Elenor13

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks everyone, here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The cochin cockerel has been picking on the silkie, so I guess it is possible she is a he. Should I separate them or keep them together? I have another silkie roo in a separate pen. Should I put her/him with him (will they get along with no hens in there with them?), or should I be trying to find another home for her/him? I don't really need three roos and one pullet.

6. Elenor13

Jun 17, 2014
    I hope my previous questions were not too confusing. I just wanted to add that the silkie in question was raised with the two cochins, and I have read mixed answers to keeping roosters together, even if they were raised together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

7. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Yes, unfortunately your Silkie is a rooster.

Also having 3 roosters and 1 hen in the same coop is not a good idea. Your poor hen will get pestered and quite badly hurt by the over-amorous roosters.

Best to rehome 2 and buy a couple more pullets for your flock.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by