silkie coop design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jason_boivin, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jason_boivin

jason_boivin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Newport News, VA
    I am very interested in getting some silkie chickens. I have been lurking here looking at designs and getting ideas for a coop and run. I read somewhere that silkies don't navigate ramps so I figured I would ask here. If they dont do ramps how do you manage them getting in and out of their coop.

2. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    My silkies get up and down the pop door ramp just fine. But they don't use the roosts. Just hang out on the floor of the coop. So you really don't need anything particularly tall if you don't want!

3. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Mine can get out just fine, but going back in... not so good.
    [​IMG]

4. daddysgirlz

daddysgirlz Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    M, WI
    Mine go in and out and up and down all day long on a fairly steep ramp...no problems as long as the ramp is wide enough...here is a pic, look carefuly at the ramp in the run. sorry it is not so up close.
    [​IMG]

5. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    mine took awhile to figure out the ramps. i had to trim the feather fluff around their eyes a couple of times as they were figuring it out but now do just fine going in and out. the ramp isnt very long or steep but [​IMG] they do fine.

6. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    Mine also handle a ramp just fine. I did have to show them and set them on there and gave a little push! [​IMG] They took it from there.

Mine will also roost. I think having a poop board kind of close to the roost board also helps, because they seem to like to roost on that one, rather than the other roost that also has a poop board , but it is lower down from the roost.

I also showed them about the roost. They are in a coop with standard sized chickens and they also just followed them, so maybe that's why it went so easy for mine? Maybe mine don't know they're silkies! [​IMG]

7. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    My three Silkies use the ramp just fine, it's only a 12"x12" ramp, very short & wide. I have one that loves to roost but the other two could care less, they would rather be sleeping in the dust bath bowl.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by