MamasSilkies

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Gulf Coast Mississippi
hugs.gif
My husband is building my 4 silkies a new coop
celebrate.gif
since their pen is getting too small for their growing bodies and My ""Mama" is acting as if she wants to start to "brood". Anyhow, What do you prefer to use as litter? Straw (hay), Pine shavings or sand in your coop? I like the pine (which I use now) But wondering if it will be harder to clean when we have the coop. Right now I can just let them roam while I dump their pen and clean it. I know I won't be able to when the coop is up. I used straw growing up on a ranch for horses. But Chickens are a different story. Love to hear what you use and see any pics if you have any. thanks. :)
D.gif

Thank you! I guess I found out that construction sand is best to use. However it could be expensive. And you said you have dirt and grass in the run area. How do you clean it? Does it have much of a smell?

Thank you! I guess I found out that construction sand is best to use. However it could be expensive. And you said you have dirt and grass in the run area. How do you clean it? Does it have much of a smell?
I get a load of sand delivered and keep it covered with a tarp weighted down.

It rains here most of the winter, so the run gets washed plenty in winter. In summer I take a hose and wash away the poo/water the grass occasionally.

Yes it will smell if it is a small area. The area next to the coop smells. For a very small run, I would consider putting sand that you rake and scoop with kitty litter scoop as well. However, in order to keep the sand from washing away, borders would be needed, and possibly a roof overhead. I am not experienced with that type of run. I dump sand on the ground in spots but it turns mucky after a lot of rain as it mixes with the mud.

I was wondering about the rain. It rains where I live a lot too. And I did read that someone said theirs wash away into the yard due to the rain and flooding. Thank you for your reply. I have a lot to think about. I do like the idea of spraying the yard to clean away the poop. My chickies love to dig through the dirt when I let them roam around. I may have to consider to let them have the yard and then do something with the hen houses. Sand or pine. I like that the pine smells good but afraid of mold. I clean the pen that they are in every weekend. But since they been getting bigger it seems they need it more.

Back
Top Bottom