silkie coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DK, Jan 24, 2009.

1. DK

DK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Bangor Alabama
    Do silkie roost like other chicken?And do they need a different kind of coop. DK

2. MyGardenHelper

MyGardenHelper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Northern CA
    I also plan on getting silkie's and some other bantmas. I read they will roost in trees (so I gather that they love to roost). I plan on having a separate coop for them near the garden. I will only let them free-range in the garden (supervised). I'll have a covered run as they are small and the hawks can carry them away. I also read that since they are small, they are almost always on the bottom of the pecking order, which is why the separate coop from the larger chickens. I don't have any bantams yet, so this is information only from researching. Other's with silkies can give you a better idea.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Silkies cannot fly up to roost like other chickens can. They have very poor wings for flying. If you use staggered roosts they can hop up till they get to highest ones.
    You have to monitor them in cold weather cause they will pile up in corners or huddle on floor. I have also used upside down crates for them to get up on. Mine do blend in with the rest of chickens but they are lowest on pecking order.
    Banties on the other hand do fly up high and are quick to get out of the way of larger chickens. They too blend in with the other chickens.... Love my banties [​IMG]

4. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I have my silkies in the same coop as my heavy breeds & they get along fine. My silkie was there first so she rules even the biggest Maran. I have staggered levels of roosts

5. MyGardenHelper

MyGardenHelper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Northern CA
    Maybe I'll have all in one coop then. I only have 2 chickens right now. Maybe next I'll get the silkie's and the get the rest so they have a chance in the pecking order [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by