Splong05

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2020
Hi everyone! I hope you're all safe and well!
I'm very new to this amazing site as well as owning chickens and had a question about my coop I'm building.
I currently have two wonderful Silkie pullets, Little Jerry Seinfeld and Kramer, (hehe they don't realize they have boy names 😄) and I'm starting the process of building them a brand new coop. I've picked my design but noticed that this one as well as most I found online at geared towards chickens that can fly with high roosting points and such.
I was hoping for suggestions for designing the interior of my coop that would make my Silkies most happy. Any help at all is so appreciated. I plan on getting 2 or 3 more chicks once my coop is completed.
I've attached a picture of the coop I'm going with. Hopefully it's a good choice but I'm willing to make any modifications necessary to make them most happy. Any suggestions would be so very appreciated!!

Attachments

CinnaBun

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Southern California
There was another recent poster that was going to build this coop--
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-coop-plans-from-woodshop-mike.1361776/

Nest boxes a little lower for your silkies? And instead of lid opening, build a door across the front- less leaks.

Chicken door a few inches off the ground

Vents at the peaks. Or ridge vent?

Longer roof overhangs on sides with openings- door, window etc. to keep the rain out.

Cute coop plans!

Last edited:

Splong05

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2020
Thank you so much for the reply! Those are all great suggestions to keep in mind!
I was just reviewing the building plans and I definitely think I agree with a panel door instead of a lidded box for the eggs. Seems like it would be easier to clean as well.
Thanks again! Hope you're well!

LadiesAndJane

Don’t look back, you’re not going that way.
Premium Feather Member
May 5, 2020
In the depths of contemplation in Hawaii
My silkies sleep huddled together on a shelf about 3 feet of the ground with pine shavings for bedding. They have a low roost above the shelf, but choose not to use it. The other chickens do. They have a ramp up to the shelf with a gradual incline that seems to work for them.😊
8357082E-942B-4F89-B2C0-319DFFE515ED.jpeg

Top Bottom