*Silkie Coops!! Help!?!*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tripp16, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone! I have 8 baby silkies that hatched last tuesday. I know how quick they grow so for christmas Im getting a coop!! [​IMG]

I have heard that silkies dont roost, so would someone who has silkies post a picture of their coops so I can get a idea of what I can show the builders?? Yes Im hiring.... [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!! [​IMG]

2. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nobody?

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Scarlett,

I don't have any photos, however, at our local Southern States Farm Store, they offer the cutest little coop ever was. It has only 2 nest boxes, a ramp up to the coop and a ramp inside up to a roost. Silkies WILL roost, they just can't fly, so you have to have a ramp up and it not be high off the ground. I have had an occ. silkie who would jump on on the regular roosts just fine and snuggle in with someone bigger. I will search a website, but not sure if all SS carry these little cute huts. Our local Amish community also makes a coop, but not as Silkie friendly.

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks. Ill try an look one up. [​IMG]

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Scarlett,

Here are a few pics of the silkie coop I built for my babies. It is a 3x3 and I have 3 hens and 1 rooster in it. They also have an attached 3x6 run. It is insulated as we live in NY and it can get pretty cold here. This am its 20. I did this with limited skills and still have all my fingers attached so I figure I did pretty good. Hope it gives you some ideas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I keep my lilttles here. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then they get separated by color [​IMG] I also have 3 other sheds and 2 a-frames.. Silkie Paradise
    Just try to get one with a covered run. I do love my a-frames. I will have to get some pics of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:WOW I love the second one! It looks soo clean and neat! [​IMG]

8. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I really like the tile inside and the size is perfect for yours! Also I loove your silkies! So pretty! [​IMG]

9. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I must have spoiled brat Silkies...... Mine do not roost, nor will they climb a ladder to get into the coop. They ended up in a 12x12 dog run with a roof and a big dog house. And they still chose to sleep on the ground. Go figure.

10. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] We call that the flop pile [​IMG] We know its time to move them when they won't go up the ramp any more. Goof balls!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by