silkie, crooked beak

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Nov 24, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    One of my silkie cockerels is getting a crooked beak. I don't know if it is an example of "incubator beak" or bad genes. Anyone have more experience and can tell by looking? He hatched July 4th and I took the pic yesterday.

[​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Since he didnt hatch with a crooked beak, and is just starting to get it, I would say it is genes. Personally I would cull the bird, and I would never use a bird with a crooked beak to breed.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Will do! He has the better "fluff" and toes of the two, and for now a darker comb... but I would hate to have a run full of ones that looked like him, beakwise. Adios other boy... he doesn't have a name.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Before you decide to cull do some research on crossed and crooked beaks. Folks have all kind of opinions but hard data from research is always the way to make a decision.

My research has pointed to many other possible reasons for this abnormality.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    LOL, okay, you want to test hatch his first babies and report back to me? I'll pay shipping. To be honest, I don't know how long his beak was crooked, because I haven't been looking at him that much other than to figure out if he was blue or black. I have a really nice black pullet that is the only one I can seem to look at when I look at that pen of birds.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by