1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie cross beaked

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tamsflock, Sep 22, 2009.

1. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I have a white 5 week old silkie who has had a normal beak until this morning. I noticed his beak looked weird picked him up and the tip is now crossing. I tried to put it straight and it isn't going to. What could make this happen all of a sudden at 5 weeks? Can it be fixed? It has been like this less than 24 hrs it wasn't like that last night but this afternoon it was???

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Chances are that it was already, it just went unnoticed. Sometimes changes in a bird's diet can cause part of the beak to grow faster making it crossed. It can also be genetic. Just keep it trimmed to a reasonable length and the bird should be fine.

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I had a cross-beaked silkie. It didn't make it past 6 months. [​IMG]

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I cull them. The crossed/scissor beak gets worse as they grow older. You'd have to spend extra time making sure it was able to eat a proper amount of food in order to grow properly and live.

5. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    Give silkie some baby vitamins no iron for a few days.

I have a 3 month old silkie I got at 3 weeks old cause her beak was crossing, it was getting bad! She came from a fellow BYC'er down the road..... Affectionately named "CC" or Chris Cross actually had her beak straighten out!!!

You can barely tell, she ranges with the flock and you would never know unless you pick her up and look very closely...

You just never know!

how she looked 3-4 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Now top and bottom line up almost perfect! She looks so much better now! and the cutest fluff ball to boot!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine died at about 4 weeks old. She starved to death.[​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It depends on the severity of the cross. I've seen birds with completely twisted beak that I was sure would never survive, live long happy lives.

8. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    well I am going to give it a try keep it trimmed and make sure it is eating. I have a pen for just egg layers no roo so if it makes it. She can go to the big house when SHE gets older. I don't know what it is but everything is a she...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by