Silkie Cross but crossed with Polish or Cochin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KristyAz, Sep 25, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Songster

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I got this cutie from one of our own BYC members. I absolutely love anything silkie cross. This is just the prettiest little girl.

She is either a silkie x bantam cochin or silkie x bantam polish. I'm posting a pic here of her when she was about 4 weeks and one from today at about 13 weeks. I should mention that I trimmed her around her eyes last week.

What do you all think...Cochin or Polish? If you want more pics see my BYC page, lots there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=78433

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I'd say polish, that's an awfully big crest. She's a cutie.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Crowing Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'd go with Polish too. I think I might be agreeing with you on loving anything Silkie cross... [​IMG]

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    polish, if you cross a crested with non crested you end up with not much to no crest at all. This one has ALOT of crest.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I was thinking crossed with cochin based on body shape and choppy rump.

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Songster

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I'd say 100% PolishxSilkie
    JMHO

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:X a big 2! Wow the leg feathering would be much sparser with polish in the mix...

8. KristyAz

KristyAz Songster

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I was leaning towards cochin too, based on her shape. But good point on the crest, she has quite a good crest, as you can see. And yes, a lot of feet and leg feathers. Hmmm, anyone else?

Love her color too. Do you think she will keep this?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Daddy's girl and I both have lots of experience with these polish/silkie mixes, hatching and raising, and none of mine have that body shape and they have just a few feathers on their feet and not on the leg shanks themselves. Either way, what a cutie!

10. It could be a polishXsilkie. If the silkie parent was from show stock the silkie would have a good sized crest then pair it with a huge polish crest. But the heavily feathered legs has me puzzled. A feather legged breed bred to a non feather legged usually results in lightly feathered legs. That is what is fun about the designer breeds, you never know what you will get or what it will look like.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by