1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Cross Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peepinglaura, Mar 26, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Does anyone know if a silkie cross chick looks, well, silkie-ish, when it's newly hatched? One of our chicks looks quite distinct, and we were hoping our silkie roo had managed to reach fatherhood.

My camera just died so I can't post pics.

Thanks for any input,

Laura

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Really hard to tell without pics. Does it have a tuft of fur on it's head?

3. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    No, not really a tuft. Will all silkie cxrosses have the sikie tuft?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am not sure, really. I do know that the silkie chicks and cross chicks I have seen have a lil something on their head.

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    You might look for:

* black skin
    * topknot
    * five toes!

They are pretty distinctive. Good luck with your peeps! [​IMG]

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Some silky crosses have very little poof on their head when hatched. Some have LOTS. Distinctions should be there though - too many toes, a black or slate beak/face, puffy cheeks in many, and then pretty quickly curly or quirky feathers, some have very feathered feet, some only a few feathers. Some of mine started with head POOFS, most didn't, all show some cresting at two weeks.

The ones with cheek poofs (tufts or beards) are pretty obvious. HI I AM PART SILKIE. The others tougher to guess. Some few will be normal (smooth) feathered, most will have curls, or frayeds or silkie feathers. It's all a bit of a crap shoot.

I have some of each in my Sizzles and it's a screaming hoot.

I'll get pics if you like.

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    walkswithdog, are you seeing the black skin in all your silkie mixes?

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I have one out of a silkie and a frizzle roo. It it smooth feathered and the only give away that it is part Silkie is one foot has five toes but the other foot has 4 toes. It's weird but healthy and thriving.

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:A few have some pink skin on them, mostly toes, one has a slate beak, and one a mulberry comb, but most have black skin on them. It makes for a very pretty face.

And they are not all the same foot wise. Some are five toed, some four on one, five on the other and one just has four toes.

I have one smooth one - with no poof and one smooth one getting a poof which looks a tad odd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by