Silkie cross... crossed with black copper maran

Jan 5, 2020
Okay, so I have something fun to share!
I have a rooster that is a silkie crosses with a blue laced red Wyandotte! And I gave him to a friend that has pure bred black copper Marans, and they gave me a few hatching eggs after about a month! This is where it gets interesting! If you look at the attached image, the two chicks two the bottom look nearly idnentical to a maran chick (but with an extra silkie toe) and that is kind of what I was expecting. But then the other two hatched! One is solid white and looks very much like a silkie! And the other chicks is almost completely black, and is actually missing the silkie toe. All of these chicks are guaranteed to be the cross of that rooster and maran hens, as that is the only chickens they have! I just thought the outcome of chicks was interesting and I figured I would share! :)
AB308B18-25A0-46CA-B010-31E5C14A8E76.jpeg

I have a rooster that is a silkie crosses with a blue laced red Wyandotte! And I gave him to a friend that has pure bred black copper Marans, and they gave me a few hatching eggs after about a month! This is where it gets interesting! If you look at the attached image, the two chicks two the bottom look nearly idnentical to a maran chick (but with an extra silkie toe) and that is kind of what I was expecting. But then the other two hatched! One is solid white and looks very much like a silkie! And the other chicks is almost completely black, and is actually missing the silkie toe. All of these chicks are guaranteed to be the cross of that rooster and maran hens, as that is the only chickens they have! I just thought the outcome of chicks was interesting and I figured I would share! :)View attachment 2226054
I would love to see how these chicks look now @Codys_chickstagram if you are so inclined to post photos! I have similar birds and was wondering what their crosses would look like! :)

I have a rooster that is a silkie crosses with a blue laced red Wyandotte! And I gave him to a friend that has pure bred black copper Marans, and they gave me a few hatching eggs after about a month! This is where it gets interesting! If you look at the attached image, the two chicks two the bottom look nearly idnentical to a maran chick (but with an extra silkie toe) and that is kind of what I was expecting. But then the other two hatched! One is solid white and looks very much like a silkie! And the other chicks is almost completely black, and is actually missing the silkie toe. All of these chicks are guaranteed to be the cross of that rooster and maran hens, as that is the only chickens they have! I just thought the outcome of chicks was interesting and I figured I would share! :)View attachment 2226054
Updated pictures?

Eggs will be a mid brown color somewhere between the copper marans (depends on where the bird came from, egg color in Marans varies greatly) and the light tan of a silkie egg. 😊

I've got all 1st gen crosses. Speck sus(speckled pictured), buff orp (yellow pictured), amer, clb(dark pictured), d'uccle(millie and porcelain) in the incubator hatching this wknd. I'm waiting for him to jump on my brahma and langshan then he will have successfully accessed all my girls!
Screenshot_20210629-132530_Messenger.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210629-132520_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-132520_Messenger.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20210629-132502_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-132502_Messenger.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 115

Back
Top Bottom