Silkie cross? Pics

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I have some little chicks who are starting to feather out. They all have 5 toes, some of them have normal feathers but a few of them have feathers that look frayed,.
Is it typical of silkie crosses to have frayed feathers?

I'll try to take some pics

Here is a pic of the whole chic

Here is a pic of the weird frayed wings. Half the chicks I hatched from these eggs have frayed feathers the other half have normal feathers.

I don't know what they are but I sure do like them. Mutt chickens are sort of fun, I already knew what my rock barrs would look like feathered out, I already know what my white chanteclers will look like feathered out BUT these guys were a surprise and its been really fun to watch!

Last edited:

Birdgirl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
I wonder if hes a Cuckoo? im not for sure how they look. But yea somehow theres a cross in there.

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Quote:Sorry for being chicken illiterate, whats a gray? Is it a breed or just a coloration of a breed? And if its a coloration, which breed?

allmypeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Maine
Silkies arent all 'puff' they have some normalish looking feathers on their wings...

Not sure about coloring on yours....my silkie is Partridge and wings look like this:

maybe you just have a 'splash' silkie?

I dont see cuckoo maran in there!!!?? but Im no expert...

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
Quote:Sorry for being chicken illiterate, whats a gray? Is it a breed or just a coloration of a breed? And if its a coloration, which breed?

It's a color variation of a silkie

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Thanks everyone and allmypeeps that photo is helpful, maybe I do have some pure silkies!

allmypeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Maine
I think you have a splash silkie.

Like I said I'm no expert, I only have one silkie, and its 9weeks old roughly so I am new to this silkie thing too, but your birds wings look like mine- except for color of course. And the color to me looks like the color of the splash I posted above. (usually they are so fluffy, unless they extend their wings out you don't even notice they have 'feathers' on their wings!)

It's definately be a SURPRISE anyway! how exciting indeed!

....now if its a 'silkie' the other puzzle will soon be Male or Female!

e

Top Bottom