Silkie cross? Pics

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I have some little chicks who are starting to feather out. They all have 5 toes, some of them have normal feathers but a few of them have feathers that look frayed,.
Is it typical of silkie crosses to have frayed feathers?

I'll try to take some pics

Here is a pic of the whole chic
27498_oliver_028.jpg

Here is a pic of the weird frayed wings. Half the chicks I hatched from these eggs have frayed feathers the other half have normal feathers.

27498_oliver_030.jpg

I don't know what they are but I sure do like them. Mutt chickens are sort of fun, I already knew what my rock barrs would look like feathered out, I already know what my white chanteclers will look like feathered out BUT these guys were a surprise and its been really fun to watch!

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry for being chicken illiterate, whats a gray? Is it a breed or just a coloration of a breed? And if its a coloration, which breed?

Silkies arent all 'puff' they have some normalish looking feathers on their wings...

Not sure about coloring on yours....my silkie is Partridge and wings look like this:

27552_monkies_wing.jpg

maybe you just have a 'splash' silkie?

27552_silkiesplash.jpg

I dont see cuckoo maran in there!!!?? but Im no expert...

I think you have a splash silkie.

Like I said I'm no expert, I only have one silkie, and its 9weeks old roughly so I am new to this silkie thing too, but your birds wings look like mine- except for color of course. And the color to me looks like the color of the splash I posted above. (usually they are so fluffy, unless they extend their wings out you don't even notice they have 'feathers' on their wings!)

It's definately be a SURPRISE anyway! how exciting indeed!

....now if its a 'silkie' the other puzzle will soon be Male or Female!
big_smile.png

e

Back
Top Bottom