Silkie cross question (pics added)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, May 31, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My silkie mama just hatched out 7 babies! I'm not sure who the roos are of the babies... But one roo I have is a frizzle. What kind of chicks would they be? Would they have frizzle feathering? I also have a cochin roo, 2 silkie roos, one light brama and an Americana (that I have never seen mount).

Any thoughts / info would be appreciated. Thank you!

ETA: Pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. Post some pics of your chicks. We need a visual.[​IMG]

3. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Songster

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    yeah pics neaded i had my silkie hatched american/silkie mix chicks so i know if they are mixed with those breeds and a frizzle with a silkie makes a sizzle hope this helps

4. if they have solid leg feathering you know the daddy isn't the ameracauna since all the others are feather footed (cochin, frizzled cochin, and brahma X silkie)

You won't be able to tell if any of the chicks are from the frizzle till they start to get their feathers in, so in about a week or so you should be able to notice the wing feathers starting to curl some - then you know who the daddy of that one is lol

What color is your silkie and the roos? since all the chicks are blue/black

5. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My silkie hen is grey (believe that's the name, and not blue), and then I have one white silkie rooster, and one splash silkie rooster... or so I think he's splash? Is there another name for roosters that have a grey pattern on them?? Thank you!!

6. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    im gonna say cochin is the daddy on most of them [​IMG] they look just like the chicks i hatched out and they are std cochin/silkie cross [​IMG] very cute btw!

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I also go with Cochin being the daddy.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I agree that the sire is a Cochin. Certainly not Ameraucana.

9. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, next question - I have two cochin roosters. One is straight-feathered and red, the other is a black frizzle. Do you think all 7 chicks are from the black frizzle?

Thank you!

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Red? I say the black frizzle. Wait a week to find out, though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: