Silkie cross question (pics added)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, May 31, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My silkie mama just hatched out 7 babies! I'm not sure who the roos are of the babies... But one roo I have is a frizzle. What kind of chicks would they be? Would they have frizzle feathering? I also have a cochin roo, 2 silkie roos, one light brama and an Americana (that I have never seen mount).

Any thoughts / info would be appreciated. Thank you!

ETA: Pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Post some pics of your chicks. We need a visual.[​IMG]

3. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    yeah pics neaded i had my silkie hatched american/silkie mix chicks so i know if they are mixed with those breeds and a frizzle with a silkie makes a sizzle hope this helps

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

if they have solid leg feathering you know the daddy isn't the ameracauna since all the others are feather footed (cochin, frizzled cochin, and brahma X silkie)

You won't be able to tell if any of the chicks are from the frizzle till they start to get their feathers in, so in about a week or so you should be able to notice the wing feathers starting to curl some - then you know who the daddy of that one is lol

What color is your silkie and the roos? since all the chicks are blue/black

5. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My silkie hen is grey (believe that's the name, and not blue), and then I have one white silkie rooster, and one splash silkie rooster... or so I think he's splash? Is there another name for roosters that have a grey pattern on them?? Thank you!!

6. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    im gonna say cochin is the daddy on most of them [​IMG] they look just like the chicks i hatched out and they are std cochin/silkie cross [​IMG] very cute btw!

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I also go with Cochin being the daddy.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I agree that the sire is a Cochin. Certainly not Ameraucana.

9. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, next question - I have two cochin roosters. One is straight-feathered and red, the other is a black frizzle. Do you think all 7 chicks are from the black frizzle?

Thank you!

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Red? I say the black frizzle. Wait a week to find out, though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by