Silkie cross sexing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by martellfam, Feb 12, 2017.

1. martellfam

martellfam New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Tampa, Florida
    Hello everyone. We have been in the backyard chicken game for a while now. Recently we acquired a bunch of silkie chicks from a coworker. 7 total. We have 3 pure silkie chicks and 4 crosses. 2 other rosters on the farm were a RIR and some Big marsh rooster.
    [​IMG]
    I really want this white one to be a pullet but my gut is telling me roo. It has a pretty fat comb on its head and fights with a known cockrel every once and a while but backs down quick. They are about 4 months old.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I will get some better pictures but is there any sure fire way to figure this out?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs I Wanna Be A Cowboy Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I see lots of roosters, first photo is a rooster, second picture, all those on the right are roosters, and the third photo might be a pullet, but you might have to wait a bit to be sure about that one..

3. martellfam

martellfam New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Tampa, Florida
    I figured most were roosters. The dark black one is already crowing. This little brown one I am pretty sure is a hen.
    [​IMG] and 2 of the 3 pure silkie are hens but i am only guessing because of the lack of a pronounced comb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs I Wanna Be A Cowboy Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Yeah I think you are right. Cute birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by