SILKIE CROSS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minimuppet, Mar 24, 2016.

1. minimuppet

minimuppet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2015
    cornwall
    HI,has anyone had a Silkie (white bantam) x Cream Legbar cross? My Silkie Jack Sparrow has been getting together with my cream Legbar Boofy and she producing stunning blue eggs,so i popped 4 into the incubator with some Copper Marans eggs. 3 of the blue eggs are fertile and have nice healthy strong looking veins when i candled them. Anyone got any idea what the chicks would look like & if the the chicks would auto sex?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    not all silkies are white, the resulting hens from that hatch would lay blue eggs and have silkied feathers, the auto sex gene is lost when you breed out to another breed, so you won't have auto sexing chicks, however I don't know what the feathering would end up like.

3. minimuppet

Aug 26, 2015
    cornwall
    Hi thanks for the info i'm pretty new to incubating my own eggs-have hatched Silkies & Araucana so far and was just setting some Copper Marans in the incubator when i decided to try the Silkie/Legbar eggs. Wasn't sure it would work but doing ok so far, waiting to see the end result is driving me crazy tho! still eleven days to go!

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    haha the waiting is the hardest part, I have 14 days on my ameraucana and ameraucana/RIR cross eggs can you post a pic. of your araucana?

5. minimuppet

Aug 26, 2015
    cornwall
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hope the pics turn out ok-boy are they fast & they're only 2 weeks old ! Little Speedy (hopefully female) got its name because when i opened the incubator its shot out,ran onto my hand & was up my sleeve in a second ! Always 1st to come running!

6. minimuppet

Aug 26, 2015
    cornwall
    Just a quick update,two out of three eggs hatched yesterday from the silkie x cream legbars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if they are "he's" or "she's but they are seriously cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by