Silkie Cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OneShotHunter, Sep 27, 2012.

1. OneShotHunter

OneShotHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I'm hand-raising my very first chick, a silkie. It's doing quite well, and aproaching one week old. It's quite healthy, chirpy, and alert. I think it might be a silkie cross. Don't silkies have the walnut combs, the wrinkly lump of flesh on their forhead? Because my chick doesn't have it. It has a regular looking comb, like the regular other breed chicks I've seen. Does this mean it's a cross, or a hen, or do I just not know the first thing about chickens?

ETA: It has the silkie fluffy feathers, that look more like fur than feathers.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    all chicks have that type of look when young, it will be a few weeks before you can see the feathers or silkie fluff. how many toes and what color of skin? But some silkies come off with a single comb. its not a wanted trait for breeding but is fine in pets. Do you have some other chicks with it?

3. OneShotHunter

No, he is alone for now. (The ducks at a friend's house hatched him, and they would have taken him to the water and pushed him and he would've drowned so I had to take him. When the ducks hatch another chick, it'll have a friend)

His skin is white. (Pulled the feathers aside on his wing) He has four toes. (Counting his dew toe, or spur, or whatever you call it in chickens)

4. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    than maybe its a cochin? what color are the legs? He needs a friend so he dont get lonely they do better in trios (incease one dies theres still 2)

5. OneShotHunter

It's leg's are yellow and black, with cute white toenails.

6. OneShotHunter

I was holding it today, and noticed that it's losing the fuzz around it's wing tips, and getting wing feathers! Does that mean it's not a silkie if it has sleek wing feathers and no fuzz there, or is it just part of maturity, or am I just proving I don't know a thing about chickens?

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pics would really help

8. OneShotHunter

I'll try to get some tomorrow. Thank you for all your help. :)

9. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    well its not sounding like a pure silkie but silkie wing feathers can be shredded (ripped looking) or normal its the body feathers that are fuzzy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by