Silkie Crossbeeds

Gville_Wellies

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 12, 2010
Almost exactly a year ago, I began my foray into chickens. On my birthday I purchased two almost fullgrown welsummer hens for their egg production, appearance and egg color. Then about a month later I purchased 3 welsummer/silkie crosses from the same woman almost as an afterthought; they were cute and needed a home. I didn't expect them to produce like my big girls. However, while I like my big girls, the crosses seem to be better in every way. They produce good size eggs almost constantly (what lags there has been where very short), they take up less space, eat less food, very rarely get broody and to me they look like cute little teddy bears. So are there people who purposely cross silkies with higher production breeds to get the best of both worlds?

I've had Welsummers for a while, LOVE the eggs, and just hatched out silkies this spring. Looking forward to the crosses! Do you have any pics to show us? The crosses with my Spitzhauben are really cute, I guess the silkies will be even cuter!!

I think you will be in for a treat! Here are pics of my girls, they obviously show some differences in color. They are feathered like a Welsummer but have feathers on the feet. Also from the same batch, which the breeder kept, were some hens that had silkie feathers but were a beautiful reddish golden color.

69697_phpzp30sipm.jpg

69697_new_chickens_arrive_015.jpg

Thanks birdmaniac3000 and NovaAman.

stoopid, they lay very light brown colored eggs. Once I figure out how to upload pics from my new smartphone, I will post them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom