Silkie crosses gender help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CherriesBrood, Dec 7, 2016.

1. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello all, I hatched 5 bantam chicks, they are about 2-3 months old I think. Two are definitely makes and one is definitely a female. As for the others I'm kinda stumped. They are silkie and porcelain d'Uccle mixes. I usually can tell the genders for myself, but these two are making it hard for me. Does anybody have any ideas?

This one has a tiny bit of shiny feathers on its neck but none on its tail where as my other cocks do. I'm kinda leaning towards cock but I'm not positive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then this one has no shiny feathers. I'm leaning towards pullet, but I'm not sure yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of the other cocks, you can see a major difference, one has the same mom, but that's it.
    [​IMG]

I'd appreciate any help, thanks. :)

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Both of the birds in question are lovely pullets.

3. CherriesBrood

Thank you. :) what about the shiny feathers on the neck? In those pictures they are kind of hard to see.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They look quite feminine to me. I find many female hackle feathers can look similar male hackle feathers; whereas male and female saddle and wing bow feathers are always quite distinct. The latter two are far more accurate to sex by.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    beautiful pullets - really nice cross

6. CherriesBrood

Thanks so much for both of your opinions! :) I was starting to think I had 2 girls and 3 boys, I'm glad i asked! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by