Silkie Crosses? Male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrightFarms, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BrightFarms

BrightFarms New Egg

Feb 13, 2014
    We recently brought home some rescue chickens (Original thread here, mostly I just needed some advice on missing feathers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/855310/resuce-chickens#post_12836089 )

Now that everyone seems a bit more settled in, I'm wondering just what breed two of these birds are, and I figured I'd re-post the pictures here in hopes of getting some more help from the breed experts.

Here's the first:

[​IMG]

After some research I think she (hopefully?) is some kind of Silkie cross, but I'm not sure. She only has 4 toes, and it seems like a lot of the Silkie crosses I've seen have 5 toes. However, her lack of comb and fluff on her feathers looks like a Silkie x Polish cross from other pictures I've seen on the forums. Any ideas? Also, is she a she? She's very flighty so I can't say I've checked for spurs but her neck seems pretty thick for a hen.

Here's the next one:

[​IMG]

Sorry the picture isn't that great, she (again, hopefully?) makes a run for the cage door as soon as it opens. She's got a tuft of feathers on her head, but not nearly as much as the first one, and she has a bit of comb. She's also got 4 toes. If the picture is too bad I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow as I'll have my husband's help.

Thanks again! BYC has been so helpful and friendly and I'm glad I finally joined!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Does the black hen have feathered legs?

If silkie was in the ancestry somewhere, it's far enough they lost the feathered legs, which is a dominant trait.

3. BrightFarms

BrightFarms New Egg

Feb 13, 2014
    None of our mutt chickens have any feathering on their legs. So they're a Polish x ?. Any ideas what they could be crossed with if not a silkie?

Thanks again for all your help! They're my new favorites even if they're mutts.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They look alot like Polish crosses I've seen, but some of my past Silkie mixes came without extra toes and feathered legs. It just depends on how the genetics line up.
    Crevecoeurs and Houdans are also crested breeds, neither of them have feathered legs either. I think Houdans are supposed to have extra digits tho. Both breeds have V combs, which stay pretty small, even on the roos.

5. gaigecampfield

gaigecampfield Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2013
    The black one i have one just like it and mines mixed with silkie and banie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by