silkie crosses? what do they look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Prestonsloan12, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Prestonsloan12

Prestonsloan12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    warrior Alabama
    I just got some silkies. i am wanting to try some crosses with my current flock. these are the silkies.

i think this one is a roo.

[​IMG]

i think this one is a hen
    [​IMG]

and these are the chickens i am wanting to breed with my silkie roo.

dominique.

[​IMG]

ancona

[​IMG]

white rock

[​IMG]

and i want to breed my silkie hen with my blue australorp.

[​IMG]

what will the crosses look like? ive never done any crosses.

2. chevynova

chevynova Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    WNY
    I've got a few silkie mixes. So far all of them have a bit of a crest, feathered feet, and unusually soft but not silkied feathers. The males are also very gentle compared to my other large roosters.

[​IMG]

The father is a buff bearded silkie, the mother is a light Brahma. He is a sweetheart with very good fathering instincts from the silkie side of the family. I would guess your white rock would make babies similar to this, except for the color.

[​IMG]

Father is the same buff silkie, mother is spangled Russian Orloff. Also very sweet.

[​IMG]

He has his mother's beard! :)

I also have a female silkie/Russian Orloff, full sister to the rooster above. She looks like a silkie with normal feathers, but has a fluffy crest, beard and cheek muffs.

My last mix is the same silkie rooster crossed with an unknown large breed hen, possibly a black Jersey Giant. I couldn't tell for sure by the egg she hatched from. She's a teeny blue hen with black skin and a triangle-shaped crest, almost like a bluejay's head.

3. Prestonsloan12

Prestonsloan12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    warrior Alabama
    they are all so unique! that why i want to mix silkies! i figured the outcome would be very strange!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by