1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Crosses

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by turtle1173, Sep 11, 2008.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    I have a partridge Silkie Roo that is mixed with various hens (see my sig. line).

While I was hatching some Welsummer eggs, I put a couple of my brown eggs in "Just to see if they were fertile." Well, one of them is developing and is due to hatch on Sunday.

I was curious on what I can expect on a "Mix" like this. What will be dominant from the silkie that will show up on the hatchling?

The hen is most likely a NHR, RIR, Black Sexlink or White plymouth rock.

Thanks,
    Shane

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    There all mutts, who knows.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I hatched out 4 chicks from a Rhode Island Red hen x Splash silkie cock.
    They all were regular feathered, all had feathered legs, all had black skin, all had a bit of a crest and muffed and bearded. 3 had 5 toes, 1 only had 4.
    All were blue with some lacing or red.
    These are two of the three hens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have pics of the rooster somewhere, but not with me at the moment. He had red hackles and saddles but was blue as well. The one other hen had red around the neck.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  4. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Great pics Cara!! Very beautiful.

Thanks
    Shane

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Those are very pretty Smoky73

6. foxcove4

foxcove4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    WNC
    this is a silkie hybrid. I don't know what it's mixed with but she does have blue ears and is very broody

[​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    She is awesome! [​IMG] I want her. [​IMG]

8. foxcove4

foxcove4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    WNC
    here's a picture of her sister, and 2 of her babies.(they are very broody). The babies are 1/4 silkie, 1/4 ?, and 1/2 australorp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Usually black skin is dominant in the first outcrossing. Silkie feathering will be dominant if you were to breed your crosses back to a silkie bird... And if I'm not mistaken, the 5 toes is usually dominant too. This is all of course, what I have read from others, as I do not allow my Silkies to cross breed color much less breeds, so I can't speak from experience.

10. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

They are cute! They look like they are wearing a wig. I am guessing that the puff head-dressing is a dominate trait also?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by