Silkie crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jakmallex, Jun 14, 2008.

1. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    This morning I heard a very strange hawk-like noise coming from the chicken room (they are still inside at 5.5 weeks old but moving out this weekend). I think a silkie discovered his voice. I've heard silkies have a strange crow, does it develop into a traditional one or will it always sound like a hawk? My first rooster had a raspy horrible sound for his first one, but it was still a variation of the normal rooster sound.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i have two silkies that are not sexed yet. I havent heard any crows from them yet. But mine are a little older

3. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    When did your silkies start developing combs? The one I think was making the noise started to develop a comb at 3.5/4 weeks and it's pretty prominent now. The other males don't have combs like his yet (3 boys out of 5 silkies).

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Could you post a pic? I have a silkie that's about 20 weeks and I haven't heard anything out of him. His comb isn't pronounced or anything either so maybe he is a she, hmmm. I'm confused [​IMG]

5. dara

dara New Egg

Jun 14, 2008
    Gainesville Ga
    My silkie rooster Casper sounds like a regular rooster.[​IMG]

6. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I'll take a current picture of him today. I don't have a good photo of him since he got his comb.

7. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Here are 2 pics. He is 5.5 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh yeah! LOL That looks like a roo to me! [​IMG] Great pics! My Charli sounds like... Awt-Awwwwwww LOL If that made sense... sounds NOTHING like a rooster. I figure if anyone hears him before he goes to the coop, I'll just tell them it's a parrot. Sounds more like a parrot than a chicken! Funny thing is... he STILL peeps!!!! LMAO

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Just like standard chickens, a silkie will crow as early as 5 weeks or may wait 20
    or more. We've had thress crowers so far and they sound like a regular rooster.
    2 of our silkie roos wouldn't shut up but tasted great. [​IMG]
    The third got a good home with Perfectly_Polish at her chickens zoo.

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My silkie George started crowing at about 2 months. He has deep raspy crow that still sounds like he's practising. The folks on here id'd him as a roo very early on based on his comb. He is my only, and my first silkie.
    Funny thing is, he may be going to live with PP at her chicken/duck farm.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by