1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Silkie crowing at 10 weeks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JudyMcKinn, Mar 1, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Songster

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Is this unusual? I have some Silkies that hatched Dec. 17. One of them is doing a pretty good job of crowing. If they all would do this, they wouldn't be so hard to tell the sex for so long. [​IMG]

2. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    yeah! Kewl!!

Heard mine for the first time too... (just got them last weekend) He's still a pullet, I'm told.
    Sounds really weird too. Such a deep throaty voice for such a "femmy" fellah.

3. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Songster

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Quote:Pullets are hens, cockerels are roosters.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing Premium Member

I think he meant, In spite of crowing, people are still telling him the bird is a pullet.
    I think.... [​IMG]

5. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    oops!!! sorry, I knew that too.....[​IMG]

6. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Songster

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I have heard that some hens will start crowing, but I don't know how common that is. Do you know the exact age of the bird?

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Good for you Judy, I have had some Silkies crosses crow as early as 9 weeks but that is not the norm. They can be little stinkers about crowing early. I think if there is a very dominant male around either old or young they tend to try to blend into the woodwork and not give any cause for a challenge. My early bloomers so far have been more aggressive than the ones that don't crow or demonstrate early.

8. RAWR

RAWR Songster

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    oh wow [​IMG] thats amazing! xD
    haha

9. chixrus

chixrus Songster

Oct 24, 2008
    my little roo is 22 wks and isnt' crowing yet while my ten week old rir bantam is already crowing and has been for a week! but i do have a dominant brahma roo

10. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    My silkie also started crowing at 10 weeks!! He's getting better at it, it still makes me giggle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: