1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Crowing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by desertgirl, May 9, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I have heard that silkie's crow is relatively quiet (compared to other roosters). Is that true?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

No. It depends on the bird. Some Silkies can crow just as loud as other birds, if not louder, and higher pitched. Ask me how I know...

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    my silkie roo is L-O-U-D !

right now we have my silkies in a pen in my diningroom cause they are in quarantine ..when we are outside I can hear him crowing ..thats on top of the kids playing...

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I asked the same thing I think it depends on the bird but I have a silkie roo that only crows from 5-7 am and not after and he is not nearly as loud as my other roo or the other ones I have had who were all differnt breeds.

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Darn. I was hoping that particular myth was true. After losig my BO to a Y chromosome, it would really bum me out to give up one of my silkies.

How old do are they when they start to crow? Any other things I should be looking for?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My pet quality silkie roo started crowing at 20 weeks of age. My other roo just started at 8 months.

7. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    I have a Silkie Roo who is louder than any Rooster that i have ever heard. Don't let them fool you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by