silkie/cuchin chicks - pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mlynch33, Mar 7, 2014.

1. mlynch33

mlynch33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    I have 2 week old chicks that I hatched out of Silkie hens & a Frizzle Cuchin rooster. It looks like 5 of the seven are starting to get a little crown even though Silkie roosters usually don't. Does anyone know if the crown is a dominate trait in cuchins and I can safely make this call? I'd like to get rid of the roos before I get too attached, however I'm not sure if the pullet cuchin crosses night also have a crown (since my 1 cuchin hen does). Only 3 of the 7 have the frizzle feathering so I'm not sure what traits are getting passed just by chance.[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

2. mlynch33

mlynch33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its too young to tell their gender. Silkie crosses in particular can be difficult. I'd post some more photos when they are feathered in (6-8 weeks). All birds, even females, get "crowns" (combs), though males do develop their's faster.

You have some very cute chicks!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its rather young to tell, especially with Silkies/Silkie mixes. Wyandottes7's suggestion of waiting a few more weeks, and then posting new photos is a good one. If some of the chicks start developing their combs sooner, it is more likely that they are cockerels, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by