Silkie culls - How much to charge?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jun 20, 2010.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

How much would you charge/pay for cull silkie chicks?

For example, day to week old chicks with single comb, more or less than 5 toes on each foot.

Thanks.

2. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Depends on your local market. They really aren't worth shipping. I haven't had any single toes, but I have sold my culls for between $7-!0 depending on age and flaw.

I don't sell any others until I can make further cuts for DQ's (ie incorrect color, poor skin/comb color, etc) and by then they are larger and more. Once sexable the cockerels that are PQ go cheap, and the pullets go for a premium,.. but again, this is what the market will bear.

Haven't let go of any truly competitive birds yet.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I give mine away, just to be rid of them.

4. SundownWaterfowl

I was thinking $4 a piece for day old chicks up to 2 weeks. Too high? I have sold them around here for $4-5 for day old culls, but was wondering what everybody else charges.

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Since I live in a super depressed area I give mine away. But before the melt down I got three to five dollars a piece.

I haven't had any single combs, those would probably go free. Four toes out of five toe birds I'd try to get something for them.

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I get 4-5 apiece. when I sell they have DQ and are unsexed. I don't like to put more money in to feeding the DQ than I have to.

7. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Exactly. Thats why I want to sell them off quick.

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    So glad you posted this! I've been trying to sell really nice silkies, mostly roosters and get no responses on my local craigs lists. If I sell them cheap they might be abused, killed, etc. I don't want them, but want them in good hands. I'm so torn, I want to get rid of them ASAP.

Most times I have to sell a rooster and hen set to sell.

9. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

$2 - $5 I'd say.

10. SundownWaterfowl

Last year I had about 13 roosters that I didnt need/want to keep, and I tried selling them for $5 bucks each, I think I sold one or two, the rest I gave away for free, all to one guy and his grandmother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by