1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie death ;(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bird sitter, Nov 26, 2012.

1. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

My poor little silkie named freckle got eaten today by a dog or a coon. So sad I miss him already ;:)(

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] i love my silkies and keep them in pens for protection as they are so vulnerable with their large crests and gentle demeanor.

3. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much! My sillies only get to free-range when I'm out there. Him and his brother were in a pen made out of chain link, two layers of chicken wire and a top that was covered. The weird thing was I found coon poop in my duck pen. Why wouldn't he have eaten my ducks...? But I think that the silkie got out of his house to get a drink and his tail feathers were up against the chain link and then the coon grabbed his tailed and pulled him through peice by peice.:( I didn't find any feathers so the only way I knew he hadn't escaped some how was that I found that wing with teeth marks in the bone .

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    So sorry about your silkie. I think they are so adorable, so sad that you lost yours. [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Sorry for your loss!

6. Tammy65

Tammy65 New Egg

Nov 3, 2012
    so sorry about your loss I can relate my neighbors dog killed my silkie on my porch and I saw it happen I felt terrible and I was also sick with an infection that had spread to my glands in my head so I couldn't do anything about it because I could barely walk. I am thankful for my 3 other silkies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by