Silkie doesn't have black skin??

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I have two silkies that hatched
clap.gif
, one white, one buff. The white one has super black skin, but the buff one has tan skin, will it darken up? They aren't even completely dry yet but the difference is quite noticible. Is this common? These are my first silkies so I have no idea
edited to say that the body and head are black, but feet aren't
Krista

Last edited:
my buff hen is lighter- I think the ( and please silkie experts correct me) that the genetics that lighten the feathers can dilute the skin as well. She is a beauty othewise-
selectpix085.jpg
at least she was before she went into the breeding pen

My white one's feet are so dark I doubt they could darken any more
wink.png
, it's just the buff one's feet. I was just wondering if all buff are that way I guess. Not a big deal either way as they are just pets, not going to show them. thanks for the replies
big_smile.png

Krista

I'm pretty sure it's an undesirable trait for showing.... but if you're not planning to show them. Who cares
tongue.png
big_smile.png
I could be wrong, but in order to get so many different color types in Silkies, they have been crossbred with other breeds in order to introduce new colors and patterns. Over time the unwanted traits have been bred back out with selective breeding... but they can pop up from time to time. Less than 5 toes, single combs, red combs, light skin, regular feathering, etc. Silkie experts... correct me please if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom