Silkie doesn't have black skin??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 27, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have two silkies that hatched [​IMG] , one white, one buff. The white one has super black skin, but the buff one has tan skin, will it darken up? They aren't even completely dry yet but the difference is quite noticible. Is this common? These are my first silkies so I have no idea
    edited to say that the body and head are black, but feet aren't
    Krista

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    maybe its a mixed breed

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Nope, shouldn't be a mix, came from a reputable source [​IMG]
    Krista

4. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm well it could be a genetic goof up or maybe it'll just darken later on

5. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    my buff hen is lighter- I think the ( and please silkie experts correct me) that the genetics that lighten the feathers can dilute the skin as well. She is a beauty othewise-[​IMG] at least she was before she went into the breeding pen

6. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    My white silkies feet darkened with age.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    My white one's feet are so dark I doubt they could darken any more [​IMG] , it's just the buff one's feet. I was just wondering if all buff are that way I guess. Not a big deal either way as they are just pets, not going to show them. thanks for the replies [​IMG]
    Krista

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm pretty sure it's an undesirable trait for showing.... but if you're not planning to show them. Who cares [​IMG] [​IMG] I could be wrong, but in order to get so many different color types in Silkies, they have been crossbred with other breeds in order to introduce new colors and patterns. Over time the unwanted traits have been bred back out with selective breeding... but they can pop up from time to time. Less than 5 toes, single combs, red combs, light skin, regular feathering, etc. Silkie experts... correct me please if I'm wrong.

9. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I am definately not a silkie expert but I do own a few. I just wanted to say that your buff is gorgeous!!!

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

A couple years ago I had a Purebred Silkie, white, with pink skin. I thought somewhere I heard them being called Albino Silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by