silkie doing odd, postnasal dripp, seems almost blind at one of her eyelids?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mellinda, May 21, 2019.

1. mellinda

mellinda In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Hello
    It might be nothing, it might be something, but my favourite little silky is not herself…
    I'm not sure how many eyelids a chicken has, but one of her eyes looks clouded a bit like my dead cat with stare… it is not on her eye directly, if that membrane slides open further she looks fine... but she does almost not respond at her right side at that eye if you wave at her, make movement, show her some food...
    Also… She SMELLS... The odour is enough to go vomit myself… She also has sometimes water comming out of her nose when she shakes her head and she often wants to dapp with her toes in the nose-eye-head-area. We put her on a weight balance: 960g. She looks … Good, she changed feathers, but even now when she has the new ones, she's … hard to explain… not herself and looking like she had enemies draining all her energie chasing her around, so exhausted she looks … She became even more separated from the rest. She still marches every now and then with the flock but it's not her doing… If you see her sit you would think did they beat her up or something or you see her sitting misserable… Hard to watch her like that... Trying to get to a vet tomorrow after work with her... What can i do to ease and comfort her? And what can possibly wrong with my cute silkie?

2. Lizzy733

Lizzy733 Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    New Zealand
    Water coming out the nose could be respiratory infection. Is her crop full, but soft and mushy? Sour crop has a strong smell associated with it as her crop will be filled with all sorts of nasty bacteria. You should bring her in and isolate her till you can get her to the vet and read up on the above two conditions.

3. mellinda

mellinda In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Medium hard crop. but sometimes no crop at all. The smell seems to come even from the featers. I will isolate her. Thank you. But all the others have post nasal dripp a bit also... Only she seems really ill...

4. mellinda

mellinda In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Respiratory disease said the vet. Entire flock will be on antibiotics and some pidgeon supplement glucose filled with vitamines. She'll be fine. My heart goes out to the more urgently chickens at the forums. I hope they will recover. For foxes or other Predator, perhaps a chicken guard automatic door. It helped our chicks when the nightcamera spotted one. Lots of strength to you all and a hug for your lady chickens and roosters.

5. Lizzy733

Lizzy733 Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    New Zealand
    Good luck with their treatment!

6. mellinda

mellinda In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Ty. However, she's getting worse with the day :s i think one of these days she might be dying :s any ideas what i can try next? I do not want to loose her but i'm afraid i might find a dead chicken soon :s breaks my heart :s The antibiotics and extra vitamin supplements arent doing their job :s anything i can try?

7. mellinda

mellinda In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Still going backwards, she moved today like she's having joint pain and her eyes are dull , very lethargic and she hides constantly… Yet she manages to walk away and hide … But i see her pecking abscent minded… i don't feel ready for euthanasia … is there anyting i can try to comfort her? thinking of letting a vet comming over this evening when she's asleep but if he says she's just old… what's the right thing to do... i don't know it anymore… if she aint in alot of pain should i let her continiou walking with the flock? Or euthanise… I'm not ready to say goodbye to her, i know she's older then the rest of them, but i just don't get it... her sneezing and post nasal has dissapeared completely, she even gets "recovery after the flight" (normally for pidges but should work for chicks also)… Special sugar with vitamins… The vet i went to aint reachable today, another one i could reach said i had to prepare if he were to came to perhaps euthanise her

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes it helps us to see pictures of the chicken, especially how she looks in general, close ups of the face or eyes, poop pics if they are not normal. What antibiotic did the vet prescribe, and was it in the water or given directly to her. Sorry that she is ill. The best thing we can do is to not let them suffer if we can’t help them. How old is she, and does she still lay eggs? Is her crop emptying overnight and flat in early morning? What do her poops look like?

9. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    send a pic, this happened to one of my chicks before but better to tell what it is with chicks!

10. mellinda

mellinda In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    The poo i could not take a picture off. Yesterday i saw her making a daily bowel flush but it was only Yellowwhite filled with air bubbles. The vet is off duty, it were 5 large capsules we had to break each one every day 1 caps /2l water . The vitamines are versele-laga glucose +vitamines, for pidges fast recuperation after flight.
    This was the only photo i could get from her.
    The odd thing is, she stopped Sneezing and wheezing entirely... Ill let the others vet come cause the parents arent home... Will check her crop if she's sleeping. Today she had almost no crop this morning but since i cannot catch her alone and she has alot of green Thorny bushes to hide, ill check at night or when the vet comes.
    The others will become 3 this year, means she will be 4 or a bit older. Im used to see them at age of 7... But i understand i need to euthanise if nothing more can be done...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: