1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie door size?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KiminPA, Apr 17, 2017.

1. KiminPA

KiminPA Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA
    Hello. I'm making an isolation type area in my coop so that my silkies (when they get here) will have their own little haven from the full-size ladies. I want to make a door that they can get thru but the other hens can't. Our coop door is 11x15 and two of them bust out at a time... would 4x6 be ok? Or is that going to be too small for the silkies?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Quote:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. KiminPA

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA
    It'll be a while until I know if it works. I'll take a picture of the set-up and let you know. We put the door in yesterday and I'll be able to tell if the big girls get in the area bc it's completely empty and they'll make a huge mess of course lol. We ended up making it 4 1/2 x 6.

4. KiminPA

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

The isolation cages have slide doors. There are two under the roost. So we made a piece to stick in that is a door, it comes out so you can just slide it shut or get in for easy cleaning. So far the big girls can't fit in this door... it remains to be seen if the silkies will fit. We can definitely make multiple sizes to use at different stages. I'm using these for integrating new babies and for a getaway for the silkies once they are grown.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s a good question and I don’t have a good answer. I’ve had full sized hens use a 6” high and 8” wide opening to a nest. The 6” high certainly isn’t too small for the bantam Silkies or the big chickens. It’s the width you have to fine tune. Good luck with it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by