Silkie doves?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by farmdude, Jun 23, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Has anyone ever heard of a silkie ringneck doves? A friend bought a few at a swap meet. She brought one over for me to see. They can't fly just as silkie chickens can't fly. They are not as fluffy as a silkie chicken. They look like regular ringnecks that got wet and their feathers dried funny.

2. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    Do Not Breed Silkie To Silkie Will Get What They Call Porcupine Birds Will Have Feather Saft But No Feather Very Ugly. Breed To Normal Will Get Some Normal Some Silkie And Some Normal Looking Birds That Carry Silkie

3. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Thank you for this advice. I personally don't have any, but the friend plans on breeding hers together. I'll pass on the information. Thanks again!

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yes, please don't let your friend mate them together! Silky in doves is exactly like Frizzle in chickens - if you've seen the porcupine feathered Frizzles, then you know what the babies from that pair of doves will look like! The feathers are brittle and very unattractive. And they don't do much in the winter time for warmth! Some silky doves can fly - it varies. But homozygous silkies definitely can't [​IMG]

When she gets them some smooth feathered mates (I have a male and two babies for sale, hint hint [​IMG] [​IMG]) ...I'd love to buy some silky babies from her [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I think they are really gorgeous birds. And I just love the ringneck personality. I haven't seen any in real life though, just in photos.

And if you get some Becky, I'd love to get some dove eggs from you down the road... XD Still working on coloring that sheet I need to send you. Sorry for the delay!

6. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I wasn't impressed and didn't think they were any prettier than standard feathered doves. Just my opinion.[​IMG]

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    They aren't any prettier but they are different. I like different [​IMG] I would also love to get some nasal tufted ringnecks. I already have a couple crested ones.

8. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:I've never seen or heard of these. Can you post any pictures? I just found out about the silkie ones the other day and I've been keeping ringnecks for many years. I guess I need to get out more often.[​IMG]

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Could you explain this a little better.

I have silkies and I'm sure going to breed them together.

10. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    they sound like verry interesting birds. pics please? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by