1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Duck owners come out come out where ever you are....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by r4eboxer, Jan 28, 2013.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Hello, I'm wondering if there are any other silkie duck owners on here. Just got mine from Holderread's a few weeks ago.

I'm wondering when they start laying? Mine are from the 2012 spring hatch, (not sure of the hatch date as I wasn't given one) So I'm wondering if I will have eggs soon. I really don't hear a strong quack on my female. She still has a bit of a chirp to her sometimes.

They are extremely skittish, I figure it's because they were not around people a whole lot. I have them in a breeding pen right now in my poultry barn. I've put them there so my geese and other ducks get to know they are suppose to be here. I'm going to let them out in another week or so to mingle with their new family members.
    Right now though they almost jump out of their feathers when I open the gate to the pen. They freak out seriously and almost climb the fence to get away from me.

So all of you closet Silkie duck owners come out and lets start talking about them. I haven't seen much about the breed and want to learn a little more.

OH and if anyone knows what Holderread's means by Spring hatch? I just feel like they are not that old, they are feathered out completely but the ducks quack is not really strong yet.

2. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    Pictures? [​IMG]

3. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's a bantam breed.

4. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Are the no other silkie duck owners on BYC? I know they are rare but they can't be that rare. I'd like to share information with anyone who has sikie ducks.

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I used too. But they couldn't be raised with larger ducklings. Lost all 3... Tragic and sad. Cute little fellers. Would love to have more someday!

6. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Hey duckgirl, haven't been on in a while, but I'm getting hatching fever again. How's the Pilgrim doing? Do I remember you have a goose left?

How long did you have your silkies? Did the larger ducklings smother them?

7. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    There are a few people I know of that have them. Duckgirl used to, Quackerjackfarms keeps some, and Emthefishlady is selling eggs in the breeders directory. If you do a search, you might find more.

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Coyote Night has them, too. I think there's a discussion about them on the bantam duck thread.

9. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by