Silkie ducks, Mini geese or Shetland geese

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by momof3, Feb 24, 2009.

1. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    I have to choose. So I'm hoping for some help from here. I love the looks of the silkie ducks but have read they are hard to hatch. Does anyone know if the ducks themselves have a hard time with hatching out there own eggs? I also wonder how they do in shipping? Has anyone ordered them from Holderreads before?

On the mini geese the shipping is eeks. It will be 150.00 for me to ship a trio. I can send in a deposit now for this fall. I wish I lived closer I would drive out and pick them up.

Or I have also thought about the shetland geese. Does anyone have those?

Thanks

2. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Silky ducks are hard to hatch and then hard to keep alive once you do hatch them. Silky ducks are basically a genetically defect. Their silky feathering leaves the ducklings especially vulnerable to chill. It's not impossible but it is difficult and heartbreaking, especially your first couple of tries.
    Don't have mini geese. I want some, but they ARE expensive. The Shetlands are hard to get a hold of from anyone but Holderreads but they're expensive also, though not as much as the Mini geese. They're a relatively quiet, friendly goose. Personally, I'd go with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by