1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie ear problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by huntermett, Apr 19, 2009.

1. huntermett

huntermett Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Claremore
    ok it all started as an eye that was matted shut got that fixed, and it moved to the other eye. now this one has me stumped . we were checking the eyes to make sure that we had taken care of the matting , and what we found was it looked like she had the matting on her ear. we felt of it so see if it would scrape off with a fingernail and found it to be hard . so i held her and the wife pulled at it and what off/out was a chunk that looked like mat on the outside , and went on the inside about 3/8 of an inch the stuff on the inside looked like hardened yellow stuff . when we pulled it out it left a hole about the size of a #2 pencil eraser . we checked the other side, and it has the same thing only we cant get a hold of it to pull it out . can anybody tell me what this is and how to properly treat it . is it a spreadable thing or what .

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Eek, it doesn't sound good. It sounds like an infection, and I would separate than bird immediately from the others.

There was a post the other day that sounded similar, and one guess was that it was some sort of canker. I'll try to find it...

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by