Silkie EE breeding?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jferlisi, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i used to have a silkie who laid a green egg. I was wondering how i could do this again? My guess it would have to be silkie to a EE or ameracauna then that offspring back to a silkie? If anyone knows i would be greatful if you could help me out.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yep... the green egg is dominant, then you need to get the rec silkie feathering back...

3. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Is that done but breeding the babie of the silkie and blue gene carrie back to a silkie?

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    The mom needs to be the EE

5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:aaahhhhh. [​IMG] there goes that plan. I wanted more of these since i lost this one a few months ago and want more. She was my favorite.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    The mom does not need to be the EE [​IMG] Once you get the F1, just keep crossing back to the Silkie and select the offspring with Silkie traits and breast ridge.

7. ...My guess it would have to be silkie to a EE or ameracauna then that offspring back to a silkie? ...

Hi! It is as simple as that. The first generation will be regular feathered. Take a green-egger girl from the cross (with the males, you can't know whether or not it inherited the blue egg gene) and mate back to a Silkie. You should get silkie feathered green-eggers from the next generation.
    Quote:What breast ridge?

[​IMG]
    Lisa​

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I would use an Ameraucana since their slate gray legs are closer to the correct color than an EE's green legs. It would result in bluer eggs too.

9. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  10. Hi! Thanks for the link! Looking forward to reading that.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by