Silkie/EE/Cochin chick sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by caseybean025, Sep 6, 2016.

1. caseybean025

caseybean025 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I'm new at the whole chicken thing and just picked up 4 6-8 week old chicks and was wondering if anyone was able to sex them yet. Any help is greatly appreciated! Fingers crossed for pullets since there's no Roos allowed in city limits!
    Bantam frizzle Cochin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Silkie/EE mix (it has a broken wing, but seems to be doing fine regardless. That's why its wing feathers look that way. I'm also thinking it may be a bit younger than the others)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pure silkie?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Silkie/EE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are still too young yet.

3. caseybean025

Sep 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Ahh I figured as much, but thought it didn't hurt to ask. Glad to see another central WI person on here! :D

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Cochins and Cochin mixes often get pink than red combs early if they are roosters, around 5 weeks you should be able to tell for sure on those. The first photo the comb is pink, so more than likely a rooster. The silkie mix might be a longer wait.

5. caseybean025

Sep 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    The colors do look a bit off in the pictures. In natural light outside, it actually is kind of a yellowish colored comb and not nearly as pink as its looking in the photos, but the more noticeable comb was starting to worry me a bit. I'm definitely still cautiously hoping it's a hen since its been the easiest to tame so far. I've only had them 3 days and it already greets me at the door of the coop and jumps into my lap or on my hand and goes to sleep.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Too young

7. caseybean025

Sep 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    At what age do you think I'd be able to see some differing characteristics in the mixes and the silkie? Sorry for the newbie questions, but as I said, these are my first chickens. And either way, I appreciate you guys taking a look!

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Usually by 5 weeks, the roosters will be pink in the combs and the pullets will still be yellow orange.

9. caseybean025

Sep 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Any idea of what the brown chicks (#1 and #2) color would be called? I'm assuming some sort of partridge, but haven't been able to find any partridge marked birds that look quite the same.

10. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I can't help you with the others but your bantam cochin looks like a girl. Boys would be developing red wattles and comb by 6-8 weeks. I love frizzles but all ours turned out to be boys! Here's one of them at 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by