Silkie EE cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Smokin Silkies, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I got 2 Lavender Silkie hens, 7 months old the other day. I noticed one of them looks like its mixed with an EE? I asked the lady and she said she got them off of ebay as eggs and they are supposed to be pure Silkies. She said the "tufts" might look like that because of the lack of crest feathers. I'm not calling her a liar in any way, but it just looks strange to me lol. I'm going to breed and work with her but just wanted your suggestions. Does she look like this because of the lack of crest feathers or do you think she is mixed with something. Both Silkies lay a cream/brown egg....no colored eggs. Thanks!

ETA: She has 5 toes also

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Very, very, VERY pet quality silkies. Not a first generation cross, but definitely some non-silkie characteristics going on, but not the muffs; those are a silkie trait (those are not tufts). The one has red comb and probably white skin, barely silkied fethering. The other has no feathers on the top of its head at all.

3. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    So I wonder if its even worth trying to improve them or just use them for eggs? I don't want this to be a 4 year project or longer to get some decent Lav Silkies. Hmmmm?

4. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Quote:If you have an incubator- ultra1classic and sonew123 both have excellent lav silkie breeding stock and sell eggs.

5. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Muffs.....Tufts.....lol I don't know much lol!

6. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Yes, I have a few bators lol. I've also gotten Lav splits from Sonew twice now. I have 2 roos and hen from her I already plan on breeding. Thanks for the info. I'll right the other person down in my records also [​IMG]

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Could be a D'Anver or D'Uccle cross as well. I'm not sure what breeds they are using for the lavendar Silkie project but these are definitely starter birds with a ways to go before they could be considered Silkies. You might be able to find a decent roo for them but it's still going to be a bit of a haul to get them where they need to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by