Silkie egg due to hatch today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kellym424, Jan 20, 2019.

1. kellym424

kellym424 Chirping

Apr 20, 2016
    Stilwell, KS
    I got an incubator for Christmas and wanted to do a trial run before spring to make sure I have it all figured out. Since my rooster is a silkie I decided it would be best to use my silkie eggs to try and hatch. I only put 1 egg in since I have several other chicks from a friend's incubator.

I candled on day 14 and it looked perfect! I'm very worried that it is not going to hatch since there has been no movement, no piping ... nothing. I know I shouldn't candle the egg. But I can't help but wonder if something went wrong between last week and now. I also know that it could take up to 24 days but seems like I've read a lot that silkies don't usually hatch late.

Can anyone give me any advice on what I can do to see if my chick is still ok?

SongBaby33 likes this.
  2. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    Did you use a separate- calibrated thermometer and hydrometer to ensure your temperature and humidity were good. I never rely on the incubator readings as they are usually wrong and can’t be calibrated with ice /salt test. If you have one chick hatch do you have other newly hatched chicks to put it with. That is always my biggest fear with hatching in incubator that I’ll only have one.

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  3. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    You can try a float test

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    You can either leave it alone... as sometimes it is late day 21 before action starts.

Or if you are SURE you don't see any shadow or hint of a pip you can candle and see if you have an internal pip or not.

I personally think practicing patience is the best choice.

Good luck and happy hatching! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

5. kellym424

kellym424 Chirping

Apr 20, 2016
    Stilwell, KS

6. kellym424

kellym424 Chirping

Apr 20, 2016
    Stilwell, KS

I'm pretty sure I don't see anything happening on the outside. I'm trying my best to be patient. Thank you!

7. kellym424

kellym424 Chirping

Apr 20, 2016
    Stilwell, KS
    I'm worried about trying the float test. I have never done that and I'm not real sure if my chick hasn't made a tiny crack somewhere.

Cyprus and EggSighted4Life like this.
  8. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Candling will tell

9. kellym424

kellym424 Chirping

Apr 20, 2016
    Stilwell, KS
    I candled a week ago. I read that I shouldn't candle after day 18.

10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    Are you using a flashlight? Sometimes it help accentuate a shadow.

Also try chirping and listening. Once they pip internally they can make noise and we often hear this.

With only one it's a bigger challenge because they make clicks and other communications to say let's all hatch.

And so many things can happen in the last few days. It's always scary.

If you open the lid to candle... hang a towel around it draping over your arms and lid to help hold in the heat and moisture.

kellym424 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: