Silkie egg hatching day 22 and no sound or external pip

Sannasilkie

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
I would really appreciate some advice here. It’s my first time hatching and I can’t find the answer searching through the forum so I’m posting my question.

I have one silkie egg in the incubator since 17.3 evening so today is day 22 and it’s morning now in the the Netherlands.

Yesterday around 2-3pm there was an internal pip and the chick started to chirp inside. It was chirping all the way until the evening when we went to bed, I even made a video of her “singing” before going to sleep, so sweet.
This morning I was so excited to get to it to see if she has made his external pip but there is no pipping and also no chirping anymore.
I read everywhere that it’s normal they go silent and gather their strength for up to 24h after the external pip but what about now, after internal pip and before external one? Is it normal the chick goes silent?
I’m worried because I need to leave for work and I will only be back later in the afternoon/early evening and then it will be a long time since internal pip before I can help.
Thank you!

I would really appreciate some advice here. It’s my first time hatching and I can’t find the answer searching through the forum so I’m posting my question.

I have one silkie egg in the incubator since 17.3 evening so today is day 22 and it’s morning now in the the Netherlands.

Yesterday around 2-3pm there was an internal pip and the chick started to chirp inside. It was chirping all the way until the evening when we went to bed, I even made a video of her “singing” before going to sleep, so sweet.
This morning I was so excited to get to it to see if she has made his external pip but there is no pipping and also no chirping anymore.
I read everywhere that it’s normal they go silent and gather their strength for up to 24h after the external pip but what about now, after internal pip and before external one? Is it normal the chick goes silent?
I’m worried because I need to leave for work and I will only be back later in the afternoon/early evening and then it will be a long time since internal pip before I can help.
Thank you!
I dont know how "normal" it is, but i just had two hatch that was internally pipped for a long time before externally pipping. I only knew they were still alive because i could see very very subtle movement of the egg every once in a while. Like they were breathing inside. They went quiet too. Some of mine externally pipped when they were ready to zip and hatch within a couple hours, and one externally pipped an actual hole and sat there hours upon hours just breathing out the hole and talking to its already hatched siblings, lol. He hadn't absorbed all his nutrients yet by far, but he wanted a sneak peak at the world anyways 🥰 in my experience with my first hatch, they really set their own rules and schedules and you never know. Everything that could've/should've went wrong with this hatch, did. I aint had a problem, complication, or loss yet. YET.. (fingers crossed)

Baby chicks need lots of strength to break out of their shell. They sleep and rest up as we do. It can take 24 hours from the internal pip for an external pip. Right now, its yolk has not been fully absorbed yet and the blood vessels haven't been all absorbed and retracted. First time hatching is hard because you want everything to go well and make sure your babies are okay, but patience is key. The chick needs to externally pip on its own. If you try to break the shell too early, it can dry out or hatch too early before its yolk is fully absorbed and it will be too weak to live. Sometimes they're just late, and sometimes they can be early. The rule of thumb is 21 days, but they are not always going to hatch exactly on the 21st day right in the morning. If the chick has not externally pipped by the time you get back from work, you can make a small safety hole from the bottom of the egg. (A safety hole is a small hole made to provide more oxygen to the chick) Make sure it has plenty of humidity so it doesn't become shrink-wrapped. If you don't know how to make a safety hole then check out
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ext=A safety hole is a,the chick turns to zip.

ideally it shouldn't take as long as 24 hours between pip and hatching but it is all still within the schedule. Yesterday will have been day 20 and 12 hours. Today around lunchtime will be 21 days and 12 hours and by this evening it will be day 22. Some eggs still hatch on day 22 and it will be day 22 till it is day 23, 24 hours later.
Hopefully it was still alive this morning but there is nothing you can do till this evening now by the sounds of it.

I just candled before i went to bed. It is now day 22. I have 5 fresh internal pips, one externally pipping. These will all be 22 day hatches... One chick hatched on day 20, 7 hatched today on their "due date." I have a bunch more looking like they could internally pip at any minite. AND i have a few that are still very far behind. You can still see veining and blank space within the fluid, so they aint even taken up the egg space yet. They worry me, but they are still alive, active, and growing. Some of the ones that internally pipped tonight, and some of the ones looking close to internally pipping, were also some of mine that were way behind on lockdown day. And when i say way behind, i mean they looked like 14-15 day candles. Just goes to show how its really all up to them and their own time, rather than set schedules. Much like our human babies.

Thank you for the replies..
it’s so stressful to just wait and hope for the best, it’s probably a very good thing I’m not at home banging my head on wall waiting 🙃
Husband just sent a msg that it’s still completely quiet, no sounds.
I’m going to be so sad if this one won’t make it either, we are so looking forward welcoming the little chick into our family.
I’m going to try to get to home after 16:00 and if still no signs, I’ll make the safety hole.

I’m home now and still no signs of pipping. It’s day 22 tonight and internal pip was now around 25-26 hours ago approximately.
I just put the sauna on to get a warm and humid room, hopefully the air hole doesn’t come too late :(

I’m home now and still no signs of pipping. It’s day 22 tonight and internal pip was now around 25-26 hours ago approximately.
I just put the sauna on to get a warm and humid room, hopefully the air hole doesn’t come too late :(
You can candle it and know for sure if it is alive in there if it indeed internally pipped. All mine that internally pipped, you could see clearly them breathing and other slight movements. They were quiet though. Some still aint externally pipped yet, but they were alive and well last night.

I candled but there was no movement or even breathing, it looks a bit odd shaped and i wonder if it was twins after all.
I made an air hole but even that made no difference, still no movement or reaction.
the tiny bit of membrane I see looks dry, humidity has been 40-55 during hatching and 65-70 during lockdown so I don’t understand why :/

Ok I opened it after no movement and it was clearly not with us anymore.
I really kick myself for not listening to my gut feeling this morning that she needs help.
the chick is perfectly formed, the egg yolk 99% absorbed and only few veins were still surrounding the belly button area or the membrane.
I don’t understand what has gone wrong after internal pip, she looked so perfect.

Back
Top Bottom