Silkie egg hep!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkiechick143, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Silkiechick143

Silkiechick143 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    [​IMG]I have 2 silkie eggs in my incubator 1 started peeping and pipping on day 19. the other one idk what happened. the one that pipped, pipped twice, and hasnt pipped or peeped since. today is day 21 and nothing has happened. should i be worried or just wait a couple of days to see what will happen? or should i try to help the pipped one? i cant see the membrane so i cant tell if its rubbery or sticky or anything. any information will help. im new at hatching so idk. please help!!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Do you know what your humidity was going into lockdown and temp? Do you have more than 2 babies in the incubator? If your incubator has a hole in the top where you can put in warm water and not splash the eggs, you can do that carefully as long as you are not around any fans or electrical components. if for any reason you THINK the humidity is too low. However, if you don't know the humidity level, too much humidity can shrink wrap them. In a styrofoam, usually enough humidity is a big problem. Do you have moisture droplets on the window? Was there a tray in it for humidity water? I try very hard to NOT open the incubator or help the babies until day 22 /23 as sometimes it takes longer if the temps have been low. And the danger of their not absorbing that life sustaining yolk is so important for their long term vitality. I'll check back later and see how this is going for you. Keep us posted. Good luck and prayers your way.

3. Silkiechick143

Dec 13, 2012
    Thnx for the info. I didn't hav a hygrometer but I did hav a styrofoam incubator. I only had 2 eggs in there, and I didn't see and water drops on the window. I didn't open it until the 23 day. The chick looked a little shrink wrapped. Maybe when it was turning, it didn't use its egg tooth, and suffocated? Idk.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    If shrink wrapped like saran, humidity was likely too high and it may have also been a quitter. It does happen, better luck next time![​IMG]

5. Silkiechick143

Dec 13, 2012
    Thnx I will next time!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by