Silkie egg peep 24hrs ago under hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by esme13, Jul 10, 2016.

1. esme13

esme13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    I am new to having a hen hatch eggs. One egg hatched on its own on day 20. Today is day 21 and the chick peep yesterday and had a tiny opening first thing in the morning. No improvement since. I don't want to interfere just yet, but could use advice? I pulled a very small amount of shell by where it peeped and I could see it moving and it started peeping a lot! so I put i back under the hen. How long could this take and how many hrs till I should be concern? I just want the absorbing to go right as well and don't want to kill the chick.

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Internal pip usually takes +\- 24 hours and then the external pip can take another +\- 24 hours. When it comes to broodies I let them deal with the actual hatching. Do you have an incubator inside? If you started to assist an egg, you'd need to monitor its progress closely, so I would think you'd need to keep it in a incubator inside.

3. esme13

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    I don't have a working incubator. Just my broody girl. The external peep took place yesterday morning I saw it at 7am. This morning I saw a tear in the membrane so I peaked through the slit. It looks very clean inside with I hope a damp chick. The outside part of that one inch membrane was dry. So I took a moist towel and dabbed the top, removed a tiny little bit of shell and left the membrane be. I could see the chick beak push the membrane and it started peeling strong! I put it back under the Hen and have not gone back out to disturb her since than.

4. esme13

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    It's hatching :) but it didn't zip right. The egg is like a bowl because it did a circle zip on one side of the egg, not in half like a normal zip. im happy I didn't interfere to much

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Good news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by