Silkie egg prodictivity

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clyde_97, Jan 16, 2011.

1. clyde_97

clyde_97 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Hi, I am new to BYC and i have about 12 chickens, i have 4 silkies and i want to know how many eggs they lay in a year. Some people say they only lay in the winter and others have said their silkies are laying an egg every few days. Does anybody know how many eggs the lay every year? Im confused!

[​IMG]

2. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    I've read that a silkie hen lays 2 to 3 eggs a week. I've only got two little silkie hens right now, and one is not yet laying. The one who is, has been laying 5 to 6 per week! She just started laying in November. So I don't know. I wasn't expecting this many. I mainly just got them for pets and the eggs are a bonus!

3. clyde_97

Jan 16, 2011
    Thank you so much.

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    No offense, but silkies are strange. At least, mine are strange. My little pullet, NeeNee, went broody BEFORE she ever laid an egg, and has since begun laying but will take it in surges. She may lay every other day for two weeks, then nothing for a week. Then daily for 5 days, then nothing for two weeks. There is no consistency with her yet...

5. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Second that! [​IMG]

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    My silkies lay everyday...like clockwork. [​IMG]

7. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Mine are pretty consistent at laying one egg every other day. During very cold weather, very hot weather and broody spells or molt, they take a few days off.

8. clyde_97

Jan 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

9. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I get one every second day until they go broody [​IMG]

10. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I got 5 a week last year from Feb to August, then my Silkie went broody, then she molted, then she laid about 18 more eggs in November and now I am waiting for her to start up again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by