1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie egg vs D'uccle egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schnebbles, Jan 22, 2014.

1. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I know I could be patient and wait, but I think my silkie might have laid an egg today (first one).

My d'uccle has been now for 3-4 weeks, every single one in a nest box

I ran out earlier today to check their water and found silkie in the box which isn't normal at all. But for some reason they have decided it's nice to sit up on the edge of the boxes. I have not seen her up there though.

Tonight when I was out there, I found an egg on the floor of the coop. I think there might be a bit of blood but it's so faint, I'm not 100%. It's a shade darker than my d'uccle, but hers have varied a tad a couple times.

does it sound like the silkie did it? I'm just curious and anxious, lol!

2. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    [​IMG]
    My silkie eggs are usually this color (and I promise they're not as big as they look in the picture, I have tiny hands). It could be that your silkie is the layer, how old is she?

3. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Sbe is probably around 8 months or so, so it could be her. That's about the color and the d'uccle is just a hint lighter. I bet it was since it was on the floor. Eggs are so exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by